Alex Hare is a director/writer investigating what it means to be a citizen-artist. He is especially motivated to create new and unconventional musical theatre that is formally adventurous, rich in ideas, and closely connected to audiences’ lives in the present moment. He is perpetually exploring how to reduce hierarchy in the rehearsal room and to lead an egalitarian creative process.
Recent projects include Walt Whitman BodyJolt (Barn Arts Collective), a participatory fitness class play inspired by Whitman’s writings on the body; You Can’t Kiss a Movie (HERE Arts Center), a multimedia play inspired by the women of the French New Wave; Autoportrait by Zachary Small (Dixon Place HOT! Festival), an experimental play about fiction and queer utopia; and Chains Don’t Rattle Themselves, a song cycle bringing formerly incarcerated writers together with composer/performers to create songs about youth incarceration.
Alex is the Associate Artistic Director of Corkscrew Theater Festival, a new summer festival that presents productions from early-career artists. Assistant credits: Side Show (Broadway, Kennedy Center), School of Rock (Broadway), The Yacoubian Building (in development, director/writer Kareem Fahmy).
An SDC Associate Member, Alex has developed and directed work at La MaMa, Cherry Lane Theatre, Irondale Center, Feinstein’s/54 Below, The Tank, NYCFringe, Rochester Fringe Festival, and more. In addition to directing and writing, Alex is a sometimes-performer, an occasional lyricist, an amateur dramaturg, an erstwhile casting director, and an enthusiastic (if untrained) choreographer. He studied American Studies and English Literature at Columbia University.
RECENT AND UPCOMING
- July 2018: Corkscrew Theater Festival runs July 10-August 5 this year, with a slate of adventurous plays from up and coming artists.
- June 2018: Alex will stage a developmental production of Walt Whitman BodyJolt at Barn Arts Collective in Maine.
- May 2018: Alex participated in DirectorsLab West in LA in mid-May.
- April 2018: Alex traveled to the Maltz Jupiter Theatre in Jupiter, FL to assistant direct/stage manage a reading of Application Pending. He is also directing a short play by Shelley Farmer inspired by Beowulf in The Tank's "We Read Books" series on May 2.
- March 2018: The Yacoubian Building, written/directed by Kareem Fahmy, received a reading in LPAC in late March. The play is an adaptation of the Egyptian novel by Alaa Al Aswany; Alex has helped develop the play over the last six months as assistant director.
- February 2018: Alex directed a reading of Robert Zander Norman's new play In Among the Young and the Healthy at La MaMa.